Kony 2012

Francesca Ranieri, Multi-media Editor

The power of social media has proved its wildfire effect yesterday, when a video by Jason Russell went viral throughout the world.

Students and people have been responding to the video by reposting, blogging and tweeting about Joseph Kony. The 30-minute video covered the issue of Joseph Kony and his hunger for power as he has been abducting children, making them sex slaves or soldiers in Uganda. Russell features a boy who witnessed first hand the murder of his brother, who tried to flee from Kony’s army. Rusell features his own son, and pulls at the emotions of the viewers to encourage support and action to the cause.

The video also discussed the efforts that have been taken already, including visits to members of congress and the relentless determination to recognize the events that have been taking place in Uganda.

As a result, permission was granted to send some of our forces to help the Ugandan army capture and arrest Kony. He has since gone into hiding.

To keep the interest and military support of the world, Jason Russell has created this campaign to, “Make Kony Famous.” The video explains that by keeping Kony on the same level of fame as well known actors and actresses, then the efforts to stop Kony will continue.

The video then calls upon viewers to take action by donating to the Invisible Children Foundation. With a donation, supporters will receive a kit that includes posters, stickers and bracelets to spread around communities. In addition, the foundation has set an official date of April 20, 2012 where supporters from all around the world will assemble and cover the streets and neighborhoods with signs and posters of Kony.

Because of the recent popularity this video has gained, many have been arguing online about whether the US should get involved and if this is just a “new fad for people to talk about.”

Despite these disagreements, the power of each voice raised in outraged support is displayed in the efforts of the Invisible Children Foundation. The question of its success and longevity still remains.