Too Much of Anything is Too Much

Brett Pizzi, Assistant Editor

It seems that students are being told to put more than they can handle on their plate. With college seemingly wanting students to take part in an excessive amount of different extracurricular activities, to be active in the community, and to maintain a near perfect GPA in high-level classes, it’s no wonder students can’t seem to find time for them.

Losing out on social interactions with family or friends and suffering sleep deprivation is dangerous and can lead to burn students burning out. Insufficient sleep has been shown to cause problems for students in school, such as disciplinary problems, sleeping in class, and poor concentration. No one wants to spend all their time padding their college transcript, but in order to be competitive there really isn’t a choice.

Students need time to be kids, and everything the educational system thrown at them limits what they are able to do. Holding down a job, performing well in classes, having a relationship, participating in clubs and sports, and taking multiple AICE or AP classes seem to be considered the norm for students today rather than something only super students do.

A student’s life should be balanced. No one can do it all, and, even in today’s society no one person can be expected to take on all the responsibilities of a situation. Balance is key in everything that occurs and it shouldn’t be messed with.

A student should be able to manage relationships with friends, enjoy activities such as sports, and gain knowledge through the classes they pick without feeling forced into a path simply for college. Balance ensures a student has life skills that are needed for life and that a student just isn’t prepared for one situation.

These years of high school are some of the best years anyone goes through and the focus shouldn’t be entirely on one thing and shouldn’t be something anyone is forced into. No one wants to have no friends and no one wants to be stuck home when everyone else goes off to college. The emphasis needs to move from forcing students into the idea that they can have one or the other and start showing students how to have a healthy balance in their lifestyle choices.

When society realizes that life itself can be a mess and everyone has to balance friends and family and work and everything else life has to offer, schools will start preparing students for the life they will be leading rather than a life around simply built around success in college. By preparing students in school for social interactions as well as business interactions, it will be found that students will be more prepared for the life that they will lead, rather than for just college applications.