The Wave

November 2018 Teacher Spotlight – Mrs. Dooley

Back to Article
Back to Article

Javier Sarache, Multimedia Editor

Mrs. Dooley isn’t your average teacher. This caring, enthusiastic, individual wins the likings of every student she has. Chosen by students in The Wave’s recent Teacher Spotlight poll, Mrs. Dooley spends her time teaching U.S. history, sociology and going beyond just school work with her students. Mrs. Dooley is everything a student wants in a teacher. She spends her time spreading her love for history and participating in the AVID department. Last week, we had a chance to sit down with her and ask her some questions about life, superheroes, and what she really thinks about her students.

The Wave: If you could compare yourself to one superhero, who would it be and why?

Mrs. Dooley: So, if I could be a superhero, I think I would choose Elastigirl. I guess she popped into my head because she’s a really good mom and she’s also really great at what she does. She’s very careful and she’s pretty cool, strong, and takes care of her family. She’s good at her job and she’s a good mom and that’s always what I wanted to be.

W: If you had to choose between teaching Sociology or U.S History, which would you choose?

D: That’s a tough question. I’ve taught U.S history for fifteen years before I was offered teaching Sociology. I love American history and I put a lot of what I learned and taught from U.S. into teaching sociology. There is a lot of history in it. I learn more and more about Sociology all the time and I’m trying to get better at it because I think there’s so much that I still have to learn about it. I think I’m more of a historian than a sociologist. There are benefits to both. I can’t really choose between the two. I think I’m better at teaching history than sociology just because I’ve done it for so much longer. I can’t pick.

I’ve never been so close with students my whole career. I care about each and every one of them.

W: What’s the difference between your AVID students and your regular students?

D: AVID program for college readiness is a very specific student that has to be chosen for AVID. The students that are chosen have to fall into a particular group. It’s a great program, I believe in it. It’s about reading strategies, organization, collaboration and all students become a family.

W: Elaborate on the relationship with your AVID students.

D: I love them and I’m going to cry when these nineteen students graduate. I’m going to have a banquet for them behind my clubhouse, inviting their families and showing them how hard their kids have worked throughout high school. I’ve never been so close with students my whole career. I care about each and every one of them.

If they remember that class was fun and interesting and that I really care for them. Love being here. I look forward to coming every day and seeing them. That’s what I want them to remember about high school and having me as a teacher.

W: What made you want to become a teacher and what do you want students to leave with after having you for a whole year?

D: I’ve always wanted to be a teacher. My little sister and I used to play school during the summer, I would always make her do worksheets. When I was in elementary school I wanted to be an elementary teacher. When I was in middle school I wanted to be a middle school teacher. And when I was in high school I had a U.S. history teacher and I was like “this is it.” I wanted to be a mix of a caring teacher and a brilliant teacher. I went to college and I learned everything I could about being a good teacher, mixing everything I could and that’s what I’ve done. Fifteen in New Jersey, five here in Florida. I hope that the students I’ve had feel like they’ve spent their time in a caring environment. I know that my students aren’t going to remember everything that I’ve thought them. If they remember that class was fun and interesting and that I really care for them. love being here. I look forward to coming every day and seeing them. That’s what I want them to remember about high school and having me as a teacher.

Javier Sarache, Multimedia Editor

Javier Sarache Jr. is an active member of Wellington High School's Slam Poetry Team and has performed in many spoken-word shows WHS' Literary Magazine...

• November 2018 Teacher Spotlight – Mrs. Dooley

News

WHS Dance Marathon: Another Year of Success

News

Wellington Basketball Wins Regionals Against Cypress Bay

Press Releases

WHS Varsity Basketball in Final Four

Arts & Entertainment

Opinion: Jussie Smollett’s False Attack

Student Life

Last Minute Tips to Help You Ace the SAT

News

Actor Luke Perry Dies at 52

News

Thousands of Migrant Children Sexually Abused Under U.S. Custody

Arts & Entertainment

Captain Marvel Movie Review

Arts & Entertainment

Artigras Festival 2019

Student Life

February 2019-Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Weiss

Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!