Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!

The Wave

Sweethearts for the Stay

Erin Bryant, Editor-in-Chief

It is unmistakable. The butterflies in your stomach have finally grown their wings, and your heart flutters; all that is certain is that this person is special.

According to a survey of over 4,900 high school students, 61% of teens believe that they have been “in love.” While passions are known to lead people astray, numbers do not lie. A measly 2% of marriages are between high school sweethearts. 

Overwhelmingly, statistics display how first loves are fleeting. However, the rare 2% is seen as an achievable romantic goal by numerous young hopefuls. 

Candace Vollrath, Wellington High English teacher, is a curator of both uncommon Shakespearean poems and this rare breed of love . In 1997, Mrs. Vollrath wandered the bustling halls of the school where she would return to shape budding minds. She never imagined finding her soulmate in her junior year, a time now characterized by the SAT and test stress.

Of course, she faced the usual trials and tribulations of teenage life.

“Finding time to see [my boyfriend] was difficult. We were both swamped constantly,” she recounted. 

With her infinite wisdom, Mrs. Vollrath has become Wellington’s resident Dr. Oz. Modern Romeos and Juliets are desperate to know her secret on how to make their love last. 

“To make it work, you need to compromise, and change with their changes. It’s amazing being able to find yourself with someone who already loves you for you,” Vollrath remarked. 

Despite her hardships, she always was reminded of why she committed in the first place. The value of romantic love, along with all of its complications, is not lost on the historically apathetic youth of today.

“No matter what stage of life, love, and more importantly, the person you are in love with, has a lasting and formative impact on who you are and how you perceive things,” Lazaro Amador, senior, explained. 

The evidence, while compelling, should not deter aspiring sweethearts. Logic lies in love as well, and there are lessons to be learned even through semblant failures.

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Arts & Entertainment

Chance Makes History

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Arts & Entertainment

‘A Dog’s Purpose’ Animal Abuse Accusations

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Opinion

Age Bias in Elections

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Sports

Football Game Summary

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Press Releases

Homecoming Events

• Sweethearts for the Stay

News

Hurricane Hacks

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Student Life

A Brand New Exposure: The Future of Photo Club

• Sweethearts for the Stay

News

Supreme Court Split on Texas Abortion Case

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Student Life

Daniel Clein- Charity Visionary

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Sports

LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

Sweethearts for the Stay