The Wave

Sweethearts for the Stay

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sweethearts for the Stay

Erin Bryant, Editor-in-Chief

It is unmistakable. The butterflies in your stomach have finally grown their wings, and your heart flutters; all that is certain is that this person is special.

According to a survey of over 4,900 high school students, 61% of teens believe that they have been “in love.” While passions are known to lead people astray, numbers do not lie. A measly 2% of marriages are between high school sweethearts. 

Overwhelmingly, statistics display how first loves are fleeting. However, the rare 2% is seen as an achievable romantic goal by numerous young hopefuls. 

Candace Vollrath, Wellington High English teacher, is a curator of both uncommon Shakespearean poems and this rare breed of love . In 1997, Mrs. Vollrath wandered the bustling halls of the school where she would return to shape budding minds. She never imagined finding her soulmate in her junior year, a time now characterized by the SAT and test stress.

Of course, she faced the usual trials and tribulations of teenage life.

“Finding time to see [my boyfriend] was difficult. We were both swamped constantly,” she recounted. 

With her infinite wisdom, Mrs. Vollrath has become Wellington’s resident Dr. Oz. Modern Romeos and Juliets are desperate to know her secret on how to make their love last. 

“To make it work, you need to compromise, and change with their changes. It’s amazing being able to find yourself with someone who already loves you for you,” Vollrath remarked. 

Despite her hardships, she always was reminded of why she committed in the first place. The value of romantic love, along with all of its complications, is not lost on the historically apathetic youth of today.

“No matter what stage of life, love, and more importantly, the person you are in love with, has a lasting and formative impact on who you are and how you perceive things,” Lazaro Amador, senior, explained. 

The evidence, while compelling, should not deter aspiring sweethearts. Logic lies in love as well, and there are lessons to be learned even through semblant failures.

Erin Bryant, Editor-In-Chief

Hey. The name’s Erin. My typical weekend includes many books, lots of writing, and tons of pizza. I’m a geek extraordinaire; astronomy, zoology, and...

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Student Life

February 2019-Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Weiss

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Press Releases

Varsity Basketball Playoffs Thursday

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Arts & Entertainment

Academic Team Competes in School Duel

• Sweethearts for the Stay

News

Parkland: One Year Later

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Editorial

Editorial: Palm Tree Massacre

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Arts & Entertainment

Student Artwork to Be Shown at Norton Museum of Art

• News

Trump to Reopen Government for Three Weeks

• Sweethearts for the Stay

Editorial

Transgender Military Ban

• Sweethearts for the Stay

News

Political Crisis in Venezuela

• Sweethearts for the Stay

News

NY Governor Signs Controversial Reproductive Health Act

Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!
Sweethearts for the Stay