What is a Good Student?

Zac Jacobson, News Editor

A typical day for a normal student is this: wake up, go to school, do homework, and sleep.

However, there are students that go above and beyond in high school, to later achieve greatness in their future. This begs the question: What makes a good student?

The New York Times reports that an honors student is one with a 3.2 unweighted GPA or above, but most of these honors students will not be accepted into top universities, such as Stanford or Harvard.

The newspaper decided to give a survey. Five people from each grade level gave their opinion on what they believed a good student was. They were told to put an unweighted GPA onto a piece of paper they thought was good enough to get into 3 prestigious universities namely, Harvard, University of Florida, and Florida Atlantic University.

The results were rather shocking.

The average GPA the surveyors contributed for Harvard was 3.92. For the University of Florida, the average was 2.78. 2.64 was the average for Florida Atlantic University.

The minimums for these three colleges was astonishingly similar. Harvard demanded a GPA of 3.9. The University of Florida asked for 2.9, and Florida Atlantic required 2.6.

In addition to GPA, most colleges also look at students’ portfolios and extracurricular activities, such as participation on sport teams and in clubs. This is why parents and teachers always push their students to participate outside of class.

The bottom line is everything helps to make someone a good student.

Ben Schor, freshman said, ” I think everybody who participates is a good student, but the ones who do more are the ones who stand out.”