Is School Interfering with Students’ Sleep Schedules?

Is School Interfering with Students' Sleep Schedules?

Marilene Rivas, Staff Writer

Sleep is a crucial part of every teenager’s lifestyle, whether they choose to accept it or not.

Many teenagers tend to sleep well below the requirement for their age for varying reasons, and many of them blame schools for depriving them from this necessary activity.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, most teenagers need to get about 8½ or more hours of sleep each night. Less than 15% of teens regularly fulfill this requirement.

This sleep deprivation may lead to moody behavior, caused headaches and drowsiness. This frustration is only one of many side effects, including loss of focus at school (which eventually leads to lower grades), a decreased ability to make good decisions, and an erratic sleep cycle (this makes it harder for teenagers to fall asleep at night and wake up early in the mornings).

The amount of after school activities, such as clubs, sports, or after school help, can be blamed. These consume time but are vital to creating a sense of community for each student at his or her school.

“Teachers don’t understand that most people do not have time to start their homework as soon as school ends. Students, especially juniors and seniors, have other obligations such as work and future planning to deal with,” Michael DaSilva,  junior, said.

With all of these after school activities, students can’t focus all of their energy into finishing their work required for school.

The copious amount of homework, especially in the more rigorous and advanced courses, leaves students with the challenging task of balancing their multiple jobs and activities and a taxing school schedule.

A survey conducted at school with a random selection of students shows that most blame their bedtime woes on the homework.

As soon as students choose more demanding courses, in an attempt to get scholarships and achieve the level of success they desire, their amount of sleep decreases in synchrony with the amount of homework they have, which continues to increase.

Although most students wish to blame the educational system for all of their problems regarding sleep, some might not be as honest as they seem.

Many students procrastinate on their homework assignments. Some students, having the task of managing time between their homework and entertainment, aren’t efficient in their choices.

Regardless of the reason, this issue should be put a focus everywhere. Sleep is as important to a person’s health as breathing, especially for the growing body of a teenager.

Finding methods to increase efficiency or declutter should take priority. Students that want to behave and learn should aim to get the suggested amount of sleep to be as successful as they can.