Senior Guide To Moving Out

Taylor McGriff, Staff Writer

After all the seniors get their acceptance letters, walk across that stage, and say their final goodbyes, life seems like it comes running at them like a speeding train. Real life sets in and some may not know where to begin. Parents no longer hold their hands by making them meals, giving allowances to fund their social lives, nor will they be seeing some of same people back from freshmen year. But this time can also be filled with self-foundation, self-establishment, and self-exploration.

The next huge step for some at WHS is moving out of the nest with people we have always been around, and that could be a scary thought. Moving into a dorm or apartment with complete strangers and essentially restarting our social lives may be insanely stressful and worrisome. Hopefully this guide will make the transition a bit easier.

1. Don’t Blow Your Cash!

As young teenagers, money may seem endless…as long as parents are supplying it. When living as an individual, the never-ending allowance will come to a screeching halt. Getting a job and learning effective money saving skills would be a great help, especially when no one is there to make sure that tuition, and other bills are paid. Stashing away about $40 from every check or always keeping backup money will supply a huge relief when presented with a compromising situation. Also, avoid impulse purchases. After all of the necessities are purchased, then impulse buying may fit into the budget.

2. FOOD FRENZY!
With no parents or guardians to watch over what is ingested, the infamous “Freshmen 15” may approach more quickly than anticipated. Keep junk food to a minimum, and try to have balanced meals that include veggies. Drinking water is essential! Lastly, stay active. Working out at least 2-3 times a week is reasonable and should be the goal to avoiding those extra pounds.

3. Keep up with schoolwork
Unlike high school, playing hooky isn’t so forgiving in college. Always go to class and complete homework on time. Always being prompt will only help in the end when exam time comes around. Mom and dad aren’t there to constantly push the idea of homework. Will power and self-responsibility are the only ways to get everything done. Don’t let procrastination take over those 5 hours before the next class.

4. Friends and Curfew
Keeping good company and remembering to actually get enough sleep are key things to survive without parents. Not getting involved with the wrong crowd will avoid problems that no young person needs at such a critical time. Hanging out with people who are on good paths and also know appropriate limits is ideal to smooth sailing. Plus, having the right friends to help maneuver through the gripes of newfound independence is always an advantage.

5. Keep it Clean!
Clean that room! Seriously. Those who are moving in with multiple people should have cleaning habits in tact before day one. Keeping everything clean and orderly will avoid a lot of bitter arguments and hostility when weekly chore time comes around. Being responsible for personal messes and cleaning those messes will keep the friction at a minimum while living with other people.

6. Think!
The most important tip of all is to always keep a level head and think about every action made. Thinking before an action can prevent tons of mishaps and compromising situations.

Yes, leaving the nest can be terrifying, but it can also be the most memorable time of any person’s life. Remember, comfort can be a phone call away but try to stick it out. It is worth it.