Taking a School Snooze

Taylor McGriff, Staff Writer

In class, we often see the person next to us sleeping and completely oblivious to the world around them; sometimes even snoring in a very deep slumber. The people seen sleeping are thought of to be “slackers” or just careless about school, but this may not always be the case. Staying up late, talking on the phone or watching tv into the wee hours of the night may not be the only reasons why eyelids get very heavy throughout the school day.

Often there are deeper reasons to the simplest things we see everyday. Here are some explanations as to why the person next to you is sleeping.

Employment- Nowadays, the financial burden on teenagers is at an all time high. Having to pay for trendy clothes, the newest gadgets and supporting a fun social life can get expensive. For some, having a job in high school may be the difference between college or no college, which is a huge burden to bare. Working long nights and long hours can surely add to drowsiness during the school day

Insomnia-  For a select few, sleeping or staying awake isn’t by free will. Some students simply are forced to stay up late…by their brains. Insomnia is a disorder that stops one from being able to sleep. When an insomniac does finally get around to sleeping, they will get as little as 2-4 hours of sleep a night.

An anonymous senior at WHS said, “I’ve had it for a really long time, so I don’t really know what its like to have a good night sleep. It sucks when it’s hard to fall asleep and stay asleep.”

A Full Plate- Those students juggling extra curricular activities, AP and Dual Enrollment courses, high amounts of homework, being captains of teams and having a significant other may be ignoring sleep as a priority. Having so much to do with not enough hours in the day to finish it all may lead to catching a few Z’s during class.

Stress- Some students may be stressed to the max with trying to keep their parents happy, their teachers happy and their friends happy; therefor, getting sleep may not even make it onto this expansive list. Worrying so much throughout the day to accomplish everything and to accomplish them the right way may kill the ability to sleep at night.

Danielle Sebrell, Senior, said, “A lot of the time, I have to find time for work, friends, family, and homework all at once. Sleep is what I want, but I often don’t get as much as I should.”

Early wake-up times- Being that school starts at 7:30 at WHS, students have to wake up extremely early to make it to class before the bell. Not to mention students who have a long commute or students with prior engagements before the school day cut their sleep times even shorter.

The Home Life- This reason may be a bit more serious than the other reasons for school-day sleepiness. Arguing or absentee parents, multiple siblings to watch after school and a household to run may be a common reason for a lack of sleep. Some students are forced to take on the roles of the adult in their households and this also means taking on the stress of an adult as well.

These are just a few common reasons for catching Z’s in class. Next time you see a student sleeping during a lesson, try not to write them off as a slacker. Just maybe the story has a bit more to it.