Wolverines Remember Home

Wolverines Remember Home

Valentina Franco, Staff Writer

According to an online school rating system, about 27 percent of the students who attend Wellington High School are of hispanic ethnicity. With the overwhelming increase of immigration that has swept the nation, it is safe to say there are people from different cultures surrounding us, who practice different ethnic activities, and who come from a variety of different nations.

Going to a completely unknown country with different ideals and a different culture can be extremely difficult for some of the brave people who seek a new life in a better country. Many people and families who leave their mother country continue the culture in their new host country. They continue eating the same foods, speaking the same language, and continue celebrating holidays differently in order to hold on to the essence of what is “home” to them. But every individual has a different way of experiencing the memory of “home”.

When asked to describe what one thing reminded these WHS students and staff of the country they were born in, there are a plethora of random memorabilia. This showcases the true meaning of culture identification and its fluidity through each person. “Whenever my family goes to Venezuela and brings me back these chocolate bars called ‘Savoy,’ it takes me back to when I used to live there,” said, Victor Lucena, junior, who moved to Florida at the age of 5.

Although there will always be native foods that are available here, as seen in Victor Lucena’s case, most people are able to find ethnic food stores with what they would otherwise only find in their native country. “Anytime I smell my mom making coffee and arepas in the morning, it reminds me of Colombia,” David Aranguren, junior, who came to the United States at the age of 6, said.

With the emergence of local Latino grocery stores such as “El Bodegon,” it has become easier for many people who enjoy South American food to obtain such foods as “arepas” and “empanadas.”

For some, what reminds them of their native country is a simple random object, and even a smell. For Mrs. Rigolo, English teacher, the smell of bus fumes reminds her of her childhood spent in Spain. Rigolo, who left Spain at the ripe age of 9, says, “Still to this day, I smell bus fumes and it reminds me of Madrid.”

There will always be something that reminds people of their home. Whatever random thing — the smell of cooking or a sacred family tradition — home is the core of every individual and is embedded in to everything people do.