The New Age of Gender

The New Age of Gender

Mya Mandell, Staff Writer

When asking a preschool student to describe a firefighter or construction worker, the pronoun “he” is generally the only one the child can think to use in this situation. Sadly, Fewer then 4 percent of firefighters in the U.S are women. This is a common example of gender roles in American society.
Gender roles play into today’s society by implanting the idea in each person’s mind that men are the strong leaders and thinkers of the world. While men work women are to stand on the sidelines, learn to make sandwiches and pop out babies.
“When I was in pre-school,” says Emilie Sall Wellington High sophomore, “I remember thinking, ‘Why are all the kitchen play sets pink?’ Later on in life, I learned it’s because the social custom is for girls to be wrapped in pink blankets and to cook on pink stoves.”
This is a perfect representation of how it is taught from a young age where you are supposed to succeed in certain skills.
“While the boys had strong action figures to model themselves off of, I had a Barbie doll to remind me that- in order to be perfect- I had to have perfect body proportions and a dream house.” Jaclyn Weber, junior, stated when asked about her childhood.
Although there are traditional gender roles still being practiced, it is a relief to see new strong female figures and impressive men who are not afraid of their femininity.
Women have been allowed to join the military services since the 1950’s, which until then banned women from protecting the country because it was only thought of as a manly ‘job’.
Men have also been contributing to the deviation of gender roles. In 1953 the movie known as ‘Ed Wood’ was shown as a man dressed as a women, altering the typical perception of the average male.
Many female celebrities are now known for exposing skin, but also giving off the appearance of being powerful.
Beyoncé is the epitome of a strong females figure with her newest quote, “I am not bossy, I AM the boss.” She believes that gender equality is just a myth and does not exist in today’s world.
Katy Perry, who claims to not be a feminist, and talking about the power of women but does believe in the strength of women and the thought that women are as capable of doing anything a man, can do.
Traditional gender roles, still being practiced, are now turning for the better. This is now the new age of gender.