From Start to Finish

Elisa Morris, Staff Writer

Has anyone ever wondered how much a senior’s mind has changed over the years? They are just like other people, except always changing and reinventing themselves.Freshman year it’s difficult, to adjust to everything and everyone.

“Well I transferred to Wellington in the middle of my freshman year and I was really intimidated by the school. It was so big and I didn’t know anyone there, but then over time, things got better. I’ve made a lot of friends and have gotten really involved in the school and now it’s like a second home that I know like the back of my hand,” Rick Garcia, senior, said.

Depending on the situation, the more changes the better ending result. It seems as though the school is a frightening place until things level out. “I’ve grown to find this place to be a second home rather than a horrid wasteland,” Tyler Sponder, senior, said.

Grades are the most concerning for freshmen. Freshman year is the year students have to start off right in order to do well in the remaining years. “Well, freshman year, it was more about the grades than figuring out what I liked,” Simone Pierce, senior, said.

There are many careers to choose from, but so little time to choose. As kids, students want to be something irrational until their true calling hits. “It felt like I had all the time in the world to make my decisions. Time flew by though and I had to figure out who I was going to be,” Pierce, said.

Luckily, school is not all work and no play. There are multiple opportunities to enjoy all academic classes, if students seek what they are intrigued by.

“After getting the basic credits everyone has to take, I finally got to take more classes I was interested in, it was less about getting an (A) and more about mastering the topic because I was into it,” Pierce, said.

High school can change the way kids’ view and think about things without them even noticing it. “High school turned my opinions around, giving me confidence in my beliefs and in myself. High school taught me responsibility beyond homework,” Pierce, said.
High school does help students out in the real world; high school helps find who the inner person is. “I feel grown up and ready to become a successful adult,” Sponder, said.

High school is the end of childhood but also the start of a new beginning. Students finally grow out of their shells and are ready to face life’s challenges.