Ceiling Tile Art

Ceiling Tile Art

Elisa Morris, Staff Writer

Have students at Wellington High School taken the time to notice the creative ceiling? “I’ve noticed the ceiling art and I think it’s spectacular,” Jazmin Alvarez, freshman, said.
There are a lot of classrooms with ceiling art: the art rooms, Lit Mag/Newspaper, Classical Studies, and some Spanish classrooms in the potables. “The art in my room is more of a way for seniors to leave their mark,” Ms. Brubaker, AP studio art teacher, said. Not all the students are allowed to draw and paint pieces, in the art room’s seniors only do this. Each of these pieces had a date that went as far back as the 1980’s.
Do these art pieces sit there to look pretty? “The purpose of the ceiling tiles, that are in the building four hallway were for semester exams; the advanced classes get to do this,” Ms. Brubaker, said. the students were suppose to take a famous artist that appealed to them and try to render it as close to the original pieces as possible. Other than in hallways, there are other magical places where ceiling tiles can be found.
The Spanish classes may contain ceiling art, but it’s unique. “My students are only allowed to create something that relates to Spanish or Spanish culture,” Ms. Adame, said.
Despite the fact that last year was the first year Wellington High School has offered classical studies. They did their first ceiling art in that room. “since it was the first year classical studies was given, the students decided to leave their legacy, for being the first students to take this class,” Ms. Krajewski, Classical Studies teacher, said.
The main purpose students put the ceiling art is to leave their stamp on the school. The only requirements that some teachers request is that it relates to the class. The art on the ceiling throughout the whole school provides a burst of energy. It gives the school a little more spirit and color.