The Melting Pot of Christmas

The Melting Pot of Christmas

Valentina Franco, Staff Writer

When it comes to celebrating holidays, people tend to only take into account the differences in religion. People tend to be ignorant of the fact that many and Catholics celebrate Christmas differently. Many factors attribute to this; and this ignorance can range from difference of how families in particular countries celebrates the coming of Saint Nick. There are many cultural and differences in celebrate the holidays.

Hispanic and Latin American cultures offer many differences in the way Christmas is celebrated. Natalia Ismar, Colombian and former Wolverine, said, “we [Colombians] do the ‘novena’ and open our presents at midnight instead of in the morning, and don’t forget the fireworks!” when asked to point out the differences of a Colombian Christmas to an American Christmas. A “novena” is a ten day prayer of the telling of the journey to Belen usually recited every night starting the 16th and ending the 24th in a family gathering. She also noted how Colombian children do not open presents the morning of the 25th but open then the 24th at midnight. And last but not least, the very dangerous and random use of fireworks around midnight on the 24th. There is no explanation to this ritual but there would be no Christmas without fireworks for many of the Wellington High School Colombian native students.

When asked to share Christmas traditions close to Mexican culture, senior, Brian Gonzales, said “we eat this sweet rounded ‘donut looking’ bread that has figurines baked in it, and who ever finds one of the figurines in his or her piece of the bread has to throw everyone a party,”

English Christmases are also slightly different than American Christmases. To begin, Santa Clause is not referred to as ‘Santa Clause’ but is actually called ‘Father Christmas’. Another part of the English tradition is Boxing Day. Boxing Day always falls on December 26th. It used to be when wealthy land owners re-gifted (or re-boxed) their unwanted Christmas presents and gave them to their peasant workers. Brandon Laver, former WHS student said, “Nothing ever really happens on Boxing day, it’s just there, no one does anything,”.

At the end of the day, it doesn’t matter how families celebrate Christmas, whether they eat bread with toys or light fireworks. What matters is that it is time spent with family, surrounded by loved ones.