Immoral Gators Exploit Rape Scandal

Immoral Gators Exploit Rape Scandal

Valentina Franco, Staff Writer

Although disgusting, distasteful and insensitive, there is a prevalence of rape jokes. Most people don’t realize the crime of rape usually goes unreported and most – 97 percent to be exact−rapist do not face the necessary punishments. According to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network website, 44 percent of rape victims are under the age of 18, and 80 percent are under the age of 30. Unfortunately, we hear some people mock the slogan “no means no” among other uncalled for jokes relating to this issue, when they do not realize how insensitive their comments are to a portion of the population.

Being traditional rivals, the games between University of Florida and Florida State University get quite competitive; students heavily taunt the other team. On November 30th however, the fans far surpassed typical college rivalry. Pictures were posted on social media of a UF student wearing a white t-shirt with the words (F)orced (S)ex (U)niversity written on the front along with a spear on the back above a text reading “The Rapers.” This mockery by University Florida students refers to the quarterback of Florida State University’s involvement in sexual abuse scandal. This insentivity to rape did not stop at the shirts, it extended to the Florida Gator’s supporters taunting the team and the audience in the stadium with vulgar chants.
These pictures and actions got attention from many college publicists and blogs such as Total Frat Move, Alligator, DailyMe, and The Orlando Sentinel. Setting the quarterback’s now dismissed rape scandal aside, this type of behavior did not only directly attack the quarterback, but it also attacked the many victims of this horrible abuse.
One in five women in college is sexually abused. Making a joke out of such a serious crime is needless and utterly disrespectful to the many rape victims trying to go about their daily life managing the trauma rape victims often suffer from. The fact that rape is no longer a sensitive subject, that is prone to ridicule, leads to desensitized feelings about committing such acts. If one acts with such nonchalance towards the subjects of sexual abuse, the likelihood he or she will act with that same casual attitude in situations where they could potentially inflict sexual abuse onto a person increases.
Total Frat Move had little comments on the situation, save a simple “stay classy, Florida” added to the title. Alligator was the only online college news source that apologized on behalf of the Gator community to the people and the families of people affected by sexual abuse.
Acting without shame in making a joke out of such of a serious problem is truly alarming. There is a need to eliminate the ‘fun’ society still sees in rape. The‘joke’ some people find in this crime causes many rape victims to not report their abusers, and the only way this issue will ever be resolved is for rapist to surely know their acts will be reported and that they will face the consequences.