What WHS Says about the Fox

What WHS Says about the Fox

Kevin Bensimoun

Madison Dalton, News Editor

At the end of last school year, students and teachers were surprised to find a fox roaming the WHS campus. This year, the furry guest is still at large, living beneath the portables and giving many WHS wolverines a smile during sightings.
Lindsay Gurewitz, senior, explained that she and a group of friends saw the fox in the bus loop after leaving this year’s homecoming game.
“It was really cute,” Gurewitz said. “[The fact that the fox is living on the WHS campus] is really cool.”
WHS Community School Principal, Mr. Romano, explained that the fox was first noticed around March and April. He explained that he has seen the fox “many times at night roaming around sometimes over by the portables, sometimes by the baseball field, sometimes in front of the school by Greenview Shores.”
According to Spanish teacher Mrs. Adame, the fox has made a home beneath her portable.
“I have seen the fox twice this year,” Adame said. “My whole fifth period saw the fox through the window.”
Despite this group sighting, Mrs. Adame explained that she does not feel the fox is too much of a distraction for leaning.
“[The class has] only seen it once in two years; it is hiding most of the time, ” Adame said.
“The district has been notified about the fox and they come out periodically to trap it, but obviously the fox has been a little quicker than the district,” Romano said.
“Some people say they will have to call somebody [to get rid of the fox, but]…I don’t think there is any reason to do that…we just have to be careful; students need to know they can’t pet the fox like it is a dog, but from a distance I think he is fine,” Adame stated.
Overall, it seems the fox has had a positive effect on WHS morale.
“It is another attraction for Wellington High School,” Adame said. “I love that he’s [living] under my portable.”