Wifi Changes at WHS

Wifi Changes at WHS

Alex Bonadies, Staff Writer

The password-free wifi that used to be available to both students and faculty of WHS has recently been restricted. The wifi now has a password for students to log in, making it more inconvenient for both teachers and students.

Some teachers didn’t even know about the change. “I didn’t even notice a change in the wifi setup. I don’t think most teachers heard about the password change,” Mrs. Comer, an English teacher, said.

Students are allowed to use their phone in class when it’s needed. “I’d let my students go online to look up topics and writing aids for their essays that they do in class,” Comer said. She hasn’t heard any complaints or comments from her students. “My students haven’t really said anything about it to me; I guess it’s because students have their own built-in wifi with their phone plans.”

Many students have noticed the change as well. Diana Manjarres, senior at WHS, feels the change is a big hassle for students. “Many of my teachers would let us go online to research for in-class assignments and projects. If I overuse my 4G limits, I have to pay out of my own pocket so it’s a hassle with the required password,” she said.

Some cell phone plans require their customers to pay extra for more online data and overage charges so students see this as an inconvenience.
Wifi can also be used for apps and other internet-required games.
“I go on Instagram and SnapChat a lot during school. The wifi at school would help a lot because I wouldn’t have to use my own data,” Adrianna Castro, junior, said.

With social media being so popular, such as Instagram, SnapChat, and Twitter, many students would use it during school. With the newly induced password on the school’s wifi, students feel that the school district is finally cracking down on the use of cellular devices during school.

“I feel that the school has finally noticed that students use their phones all the time during school and that this is the only solution,” Castro said.

Some teachers look at the wifi change as a positive thing.

“I didn’t know that there was a password on the school wifi, but I have been noticing a decrease in cell phone use during my classes. I don’t think that students will ever fully stop using their phones in class because of texting and all the social media, but I think it will at least decrease,” Mr. Robinson, teacher, said. Not all teachers use the wifi in class, such as math teachers like Mr. Robinson.

The school wifi is no longer fully accessible to both students and faculty. Will th password on the school wifi have a huge affect on the learning curriculum at Wellington High School?