Volunteer Organizations Galore

Volunteer Organizations Galore

Selia Vargas, Staff Writer

There are many wonderful volunteer organizations at Wellington High School that provide students with the opportunity to give back to the community. Each organization has its own purpose for what it wants to accomplish. Some volunteer organizations at Wellington include Hugs and Kisses inc., Think Pink Kids, Stand Up 2 Cancer and Key club.
Hugs and Kisses inc. is a non -profit organization in which bracelets are made out of buttons donated by the community. The money from the sale of the bracelets helps pay for local cancer patients living expenses.
Club members love that the organization helps reduce the cost of medical expenses.
“I decided to join because a friend of mine recommended me to; I love that it’s not like most cancer charities, it helps pay for bills not research,” Jamie Tadelman, senior and co-president, said.
Think Pink Kids is an organization that raises money for cancer awareness, research, and support groups. The club donates to a local support group at Wellington Regional Medical center called Your Bussom Buddies 2 and to “Scripts” in Jupiter.
Think Pink KIds targets a specific group such as breast cancer research and expands each year. Members are proud of their accomplishment.
“I joined because, when I was little, a close friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer,” Carli Fischer, senior and president, said, “the club targets a specific group and has expanded each year donating over $85,000. ”
Think Pink has many fundraising projects such as dodgeball tournaments, Kickball games, and a dance. Alongside this they sell pink shoe laces and bracelets to raise money and awareness. Members are very involved with the events.
“Many of my friends did Think Pink in middle school, but I joined because my friend’s mother was diagnosed with breast cancer,” Isa Torregrosa, sophomore and publicity officer, said, ” I really wanted to get involved and raise money for breast cancer research.”
Another volunteer organization is Key club. Key club is an international community service organization. It is a student-led organization with the goal of leading leadership through serving others. They have a variety of events such as beach clean ups, fundraising and environmental projects.
The student-led organization has a variety of activities where club members gain new experiences.
“I’ve always had a passion for volunteering and Key club has a variety of activities,” Jayleen James, senior and treasurer, said, ” you will meet so many people, learn a lot of useful things and be introduced into so many new experiences that will mark your life.”
Stand Up 2 Cancer is a volunteer organization that raises money for cancer research. The club participates in events such as the 5k run and St.Baldricks.
Members in Stand Up 2 Cancer join in order to contribute in cancer research.
“I decided to join because I know people who are fighting and have fought cancer, I thought it would be a great idea to join and help contribute to others,” Alek LaMour, sophomore, said.
These volunteer organizations are a great way to get community service hours and really get involved with the community. They provide many new experiences along with meeting new people with similar interests.