Fresh Problems in the Making

Fresh Problems in the Making

Elisa Morris, Staff Writer

Every year, Wellington High gets a new batch of freshmen. They were at the top in middle school, but now it’s time to start all over again. The good life is gone.
For most freshmen, it’s a huge transition. The majority of freshmen don’t come prepared for the expectations of high school teachers. While some do come ready to take high school head on, others come with uncertainty and fear. “It was kind of rough the first week of school; but, I got used to it,” Shannon Sweeney, freshman, said.
Students face increased responsibility. Myriad problems are absences and homework. In middle school the teachers would let students get away with things, now everything is getting tougher for freshmen. It’s time to buckle down the books: work is due when it is due, no exceptions.
In their first year, students want to start out right. And, if they dishevel everything the first year, the following years won’t go as planned. Thinking colleges don’t look at freshmen year is not true. This can be stressful: “There is some stress,” Erica Cheesebro, freshman, said, “On a scale of one to ten my stress level would be a six because of the peer pressure,” Jessica DeLaura, freshman, said.
Making a good first impression is one of the biggest problems. Everyone wants to be accepted freshman year. The beginning of a new reputation is where it all starts.
High school is like Giant’s Castle. Freshmen barely know their way around the school. Getting to and from class for them seems to require a GPS because the hallways are so crowded. Some could be seen still carrying the school map around for help, sitting in the wrong class for the whole period, and using their schedules even after their first week. The halls are more packed compared to middle school. There is no more sixth grade hallway, seventh grade hallway, and eighth grade hallway. We are all just thrown together. “It’s harder to get around because the hallways are so crowded,” DeLaura said.
Socializing and meeting new people is all a part of the experience. It is exciting and intimidating. Socialize by joining in on the fun while in freshmen year will lead to no regrets later. Plenty of juniors and seniors say they regret not getting involved earlier. So get involved and make new friends.