Wolverines Tackle Homecoming Hurdles

Selia Vargas

Madison Dalton, News Editor

Several challenges have arisen as a result of Homecoming being earlier than usual this year. As a result of these challenges, the WHS wolverines have had to be flexible in coordinating events in hopes that school spirit will not decline due to the early date.
Producing the events was a distinct challenge.
“Preparation time that’s available is very limited as opposed to, say, a mid-October Homecoming,” Mr. Crocetti, WHS principal, states.
Mrs. Varvarigos, student government association sponsor, feels that the early date of Homecoming had an impact on the week.
“I wouldn’t recommend it in the future,” Varvarigos said.
Homecoming occurred only five weeks into the school year this year because “Coach Abel didn’t want it on a district game and because of testing,” Kelsie D’Aoust, senior SGA representative, explains, “When we looked at the calendar last year, looked at the football schedule, looked at the testing schedule, looked at the holiday schedules…next week was the best week to do it,” Crocetti said.
While these are perfectly logical reasons for setting the date ahead, a couple of Homecoming events have had to be cancelled as a result. One such event was the Homecoming parade.
“One thing [SGA] did right off the bat was cut the parade out because the work involved in doing that was just going to take away from trying to put together [the other events],” Crocetti said.
“A lot of students, I’ve heard, are really upset about [the cancellation of the parade], but I think Homecoming is going to be a fun week with or without the parade,” D’Aoust explains.
Last Friday, the “Mr. Wellington” pageant got cancelled as well because too few contestants showed up at rehearsal.
“Mr. Wellington got cancelled because I feel that a lot of boys didn’t have time to prepare, so they didn’t sign up,” D’Aoust added.
Despite these challenges, Varvarigos explained that the student body has put forth its best effort to make Homecoming week successful.
“I really don’t see anything we could do differently. I mean, we really made every effort to make it a successful event. We got the themes in May, we told the classes early and the sponsors early that they needed to order t-shirts and organize their lip syncs and powder puffs,” Varvarigos said.
Despite event cancellation, Varvarigos and Crocetti feel that wolverine spirit is as alive as ever.
“I think [it’s] the perception [that school spirit has declined], but I’ve been here for 14 years and I really haven’t seen that much of a change,” Varvarigos stated.
“I don’t see a lack or drop in school spirit,” Crocetti added.
D’Aoust explained that the success of homecoming lies largely in the hands of the student body.
“Promote your class,” D’Aoust urged. “I think that SGA members and other people should go all out with the dress up days and everything so it can influence people [to think], ‘Oh, I can do that too; it’s not that embarrassing.’ It makes it so much more fun.”
It appears that, despite challenges, WHS students and staff have persevered to make Homecoming 2013 memorable.