Student Spotlight: Valedictorian Sina Booeshaghi

Jessica Small, Editor in Chief

The Class of 2013 valedictorian, Sina Booeshaghi, is one hard working kid. His four years in high school have molded his incredibly bright future at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and beyond.

“You always have to keep on pushing forward. ‘Without progression we see stagnancy,’” Booeshaghi said.

That motto is what has driven this up and coming politician to excel in high school.

Booeshaghi eventually hopes to campaign for a government position. Being a member of the Debate Program at Wellington has “magnified” this interest.

“It’s really broadened the scope, or broadened my view of the world. When you find out what is actually going on, it’s really scary,” Booeshaghi said.

His worldly view is what has helped him put life into perspective, with academics being first and foremost.

“I was always able to excel more in academia than in, let’s say, sports or socializing,” he said.

Through academia Sina has been able to “build a network of friends,” which has shaped his entire high school experience. Additionally, he has found that the key is viewing his progress as an “intrinsic motivator.”

“By doing well, I feel good about doing well,” he said.

Sina has been a member of the Spanish Honor Society for four years, which he uses as an example to advise future students in their own extracurricular choices.

“I really like Spanish. You should never join an extracurricular activity just based on your resume. Have a passion for it because you want to immerse yourself in that environment,” he said.

Being a Wolverine wasn’t the primary influence on Sina to become this motivated. He is, above all, a family man.

“[My dad] does mechanical engineering. I worked with him over the summer doing internships, and that was a lot of fun,” Booeshaghi said.

One particularly gruesome incident on the job has stuck with Sina, and has pushed him to pursue a degree at MIT in mechanical engineering.

“I still have the images in my head; I can’t get them out,” he said. “Based on what we saw we were able to discern what had actually happened [in the car accident] and reconstruct it using the evidence that was presented.”

In addition to his family, Sina has been influenced heavily by whom he calls “one of the greatest teachers at [Wellington High School.]”

“My math teacher, Mr. Mucino, really magnified my interest in math and science, which was already supplemented by me working with my dad,” he said.

Mucino has been Sina’s AP Calculus AB and BC teacher for the past two years. “I think that whatever he decides to do, he’s going to go far,” Mucino said.

Now, Sina passes on the wisdom he has attained from this, and other challenging courses, to his younger sister.

His advice is to “maximize the amount of AP courses you take, and learn how to study.” Time allocation is vital to thriving in high school.

“Now, I realize what my dad told me is 100% true,” Booeshaghi said. “When you come into high school, you really should have a plan as to what you are going to do. Through that plan, you will be able to get good grades, work on your SAT’s, get internships, and progress from there.”

Sina is excited to continue his education this fall at MIT, where he feels a degree will provide him with “limitless” opportunities.

“[Mechanical engineering is] not just a subject matter, its learning how to think that way,” he said.

The mind of this valedictorian is that of a motivated man. Sina will lead the Class of 2013 when they graduate May 21.

“Other than the fact that people call me valedictorian, I really feel no different, because I really feel like everyone could achieve this,” he said. “It’s just a matter of hard work.”

Along those lines, Sina Booeshaghi’s last words to future Wolverines are simple, yet effective. “Don’t procrastinate kids. It’s bad.”

Wellington High School commends Booeshaghi’s hard work and dedication and wishes him luck in achieving his dreams.