Dance Marathon at WHS

Savana Freyman

Savana Freyman, Staff Writer

“I like to move it, move it. She likes to move it, move it. He likes to move it, move it. You like to move it!”

Are you ready for dancing, music, food, friends and fun? All this and so much more is guaranteed at Wellington High Schools first Dance Marathon.

The money raised from our fundraiser will be going to Shands Hospital for children at the University of Florida. The event will be 6 hours long at the Wellington High School Gym. The goal is to raise around $20,000. It`s only $30 to participate in this fun filled event for a great cause, although the goal is $100 per person.

“We dance for those who can’t.” is the mission statement for Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals Dance Marathon. This special cause makes Dance Marathon an event unlike any other.

This event is sponsoring children who are stuck in hospitals day in and day out waiting to get better. Every event is entirely student run and 100% of funds raised are donated directly to the local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, which directly affects the hundreds of children that are bed ridden.

In 1991, the first Dance Marathon was held, and the program now spans throughout the country, benefiting hundreds of hospitals and an innumerable amount of children. Dance Marathon involves college and high school students at more than 150 schools across the country, all raising money for the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital in their communities.

The dance marathon is an event that can range from 12-40 hours in which the students stay on their feet through dancing, games and entertainment celebrating the total amount of money raised. Since we are a high school we are limited to 6 hours.

Last year alone, college dance marathons raised more than $8 million. Everyone is welcome to participate in the dance marathon. Remember, it’s all for the kids who cant.