Dress Code Lock Down

Olivia Lehmann

Mallory Cortellesso, Staff Writer

Wellington High School cracked down on dress code after homecoming week. At least a dozen teens were prevented from attending the weekend homecoming dance because of their attire.

“As much as we wanted to have a certain level of appropriate and reasonableness, there was never any intention for people to leave heartbroken, disgruntled, confused, and frustrated,” Mrs. Andrewson, Assistant Principal, said Monday.

About a dozen girls were turned away from the dance because some of the school’s staff members monitoring the dance deemed their dresses too short, or otherwise inappropriate. But,  the dress code itself is a matter of interpretation.

“It was a shock at first,” said Chelsy Matute. “Here we are spending all this money and time getting ready for the dance, and to get turned away so quickly was kind of depressing.”

“This isn’t fair to the girls,” Chelsy’s mother said. “If you’re going to arbitrarily paint a scarlet letter all over children, then something has to change.”

The school is within its right to have a dress code, but the enforcement of the dress code was unevenly skewed. Andrewson said information about the dress code was included on the fliers prior to the dance and was posted on the school’s website.

Several parents said that what their daughters wore was within the school’s dress code, and added that the administration wasn’t fair in deciding who got to stay for the dance and who was turned away. Two researchers, Lexie and Lindsay Kite, have studied body objectification of women and say that girls need to be taught that they are more than bodies, can be empowered to do great things. We know when girls respect their bodies they actually make better decisions for them in terms of nutrition, physical fitness, and also in terms of the way they dress.