Diversity Among This Year’s Homecoming Court

Jamie Zeldman, Staff Writer

The makeup of Wellington High’s homecoming court this year was very diverse and notable. Traditionally, courts are a popularity contest, not accurately representing the extent of the student body. Cheerleaders, football players, partiers and the “mean girls” are usually the clichés that make up the court. However, this years’ homecoming court, for the class of 2013, defies the rules of the past.

“I definitely consider myself the least popular girl on homecoming court, but I think that’s not necessarily a bad thing,” Sydney Kenney said. “I have the support of my group of friends, and I think that’s what’s really important.”

Others feel the same way, as well.

“I feel like I’m the wild card choice in this thing,” Taylor Yackulics said.

People nominated on court this year come from a variety of different races, stereotypes, and personalities, which is unique to traditional courts.

Matt Goldman classifies himself as a “stereotypical intellectual lifeguard bro.”

On the contrary, some people feel differently.

“I represent a group that is normally underrepresented, because I am a nerd,” Marc Nebb said.

Regardless of the diversified court, almost everyone agrees on the fact that they would have never been nominated without the support of their friends.

“I’m pretty sure it’s because of my involvement in marching band,” Yackulics said. “I’ve made millions zillions of friends in band, and I guess a bunch of them voted for me.”

As a whole, the homecoming court for the class of 2013 was unique and varied, which indeed is a reflection of the student body itself.

Taylor Yackulics and Alina Robertson were coroneted homecoming king and queen at the game against Cardinal Newman last Friday night.