The Struggle Of Balancing Homecoming

Savana Freyman, Staff Writer

Everyone at Wellington knows that the first week of October this year has been a busy and exciting time. Why? Because it’s homecoming week! Homecoming week is when students are usually the most spirited and participate in a variety of activities school wide. Between the dress up days and numerous evening activities, our days are jam packed. This leaves very little time for school work.

A question many students asked during this week was how they would stay on top of all of their extracurricular activities and school work without feeling too overwhelmed. “I participated in Lip Sync and float building. In order to balance grades, I don’t procrastinate with homework because with all the activities and band, there is no time to waste. I also try and keep organized by sknowing when tests and quizzes are coming. Then it allows me to study a little every day,” Jack Longo, a Junior and a member of SGA, said.

Teachers were supposed to give less homework and tests during Homecoming week. But, sometimes students still felt overwhelmed. Some activities such as float building ran as late as 10 P.M. Powderpuff, Lip Sync, Mr. Wellington, the parade, the carnival, the pep rally, the Homecoming football game, and the dance, all distract the students from school work. “Depending on your level of involvement in homecoming activities, keeping your grades up could become a little challenging. However, it really depends on the kind of student you are, the classes you take, and other responsibilities you have outside of school. I also think teachers have given less homework. They seem to be aware that students will be staying late after school, and are going to be busy,” Lindsey Gurewitz, Junior, said.

However, some students don’t see a change in the workload during Homecoming week. “I participated in Powderpuff, Lip Sync, as well as helping plan the carnival, and Mr. Wellington. Honestly, many nights I have to stay up late to finish homework assignments. I have Homecoming activities until 4 or 4:30 and then I still have other extracurricular activities I am dedicated to until 8:30 or 9:00 at night,” Maison White, a Sophomore and member of SGA, said.

The key to success during Homecoming week this year seemed to be to stay on top of events and plan in advance.