Wellington Dives into Palm Beach Envirothon

Photo credit: Jessica Small

Abbygail Reid, News Editor

On February 24, 2012, Wellington High competed in the 2012 Palm Beach Envirothon at Arthur R. Marshall Loxahatchee National Wildlife Refuge to great success.

The Palm Beach County Envirothon is a field-oriented, educational program where high school students, working in teams of five, learn to use critical thinking skills and develop problem-solving and communication skills to solve written questions or conduct
hands-on investigations about environmental issues. Teams are tested in five natural resource categories: Aquatics, Soils, Forestry, Wildlife and Lake Worth Lagoon (just added this year exclusive to Palm Beach County). Each year, a Current Environmental Issue is added to the mix, which for 2012 is Non-Point Source Pollution / Low Impact Development: Going Green with LID Technology.

The Wellington team, who calls itself Los Chicos Ecos, consists of Juan Arango, Sina Booeshaghi, Diana Jimenez, Marc Nebb, Nick Thibault, and Ricky Tran. The team got a large packet to study, which they divided equally amongst themselves in sections, with each section numbering about a hundred pages, to save time.

They also had to do 5 minute oral presentations for each category. “The oral presentations were definitely the most difficult part for the team,” Sina Booeshaghi, junior, said, who contributes his love for the environment to his Environmental teacher, Mrs.
Clawson.

The Wellington team won the Aquatics category. For their success they received a plaque, which they gave to Mrs. Clawson, and free books from the book store.