Grounded for Life

Sam Pescatore

Samantha Pescatore, Business Manager

YOU’RE GROUNDED”, is the sentence given to most teenagers by their parents when faced with punishment. Students handle being grounded in an assortment of ways such as sadness, rebellion, or even more creative ways.
“This one time I got grounded, my two brothers and I handled it by deciding that until my mom ungrounded us we would just stop flushing all the toilets in the house. It got to the point where she was tired of arguing about it and decided to unground us. It was awesome,” Matthew Goldman, junior, said.
Teenagers sometimes handle their punishment by rebelling in small ways. This sometimes works as in the Goldman brother’s situation, but that isn’t always the case– most of the time it can just get you in more trouble.
“I learned that yelling back at my parents when I get in trouble won’t solve anything. I just wait till they’ve cooled off, then act normal until they forget that they had punished me,” Tim Skaryd, senior, said.
Sometimes, just communicating and acting mature can help shorten the duration of the punishment. Most authority figures respect reasonable and willing teenagers ready to learn from their mistakes and talk out their issues. It shows parents that their child is growing up and is ready to take the next step in become a mature adult.

“I use to react to my punishments with pranks and acting out, but recently I found that just talking it out and persuading my parents to not ground me in the first place works better, Eddie Maglacco, junior, said, “One of the ways I used to handle getting grounded was that I would put peanut butter under my parents pillows, and then once they were asleep I would let my dog (who ate the peanut butter) in to their bedroom to wake them up.”
Other students take a more passive approach to being grounded. Some catch up on their homework, video games, movies, and other house held activities.
“Whenever I’m grounded I just watch TV and sleep. It’s really relaxing and it makes my mom mad that I’m enjoying myself,” Hannah Wallis, junior, said.
Being grounded for some students isn’t necessarily a bad thing; some treat it as a creative challenge to manipulate the rules of their superiors, while others dwell and try to accumulate secret revenges to shorten their punishment. Either way students are constantly finding ways to beat the system and learn from their mistakes at the same time.