Unusual Addictions Escalate Amongst Teens

Elizabeth Rigolo

Diana Calderon, Staff Writer

Statistics have shown that, over the course of the past twenty years, at least one in every eight Americans has some type of addiction. But what most people don’t know is that not all addictions are potentially harmful; some addictions are thought of as just ‘plain-out weird’ by some people.

“The number of addictions has risen over the years, and it’s really no surprise to me when I hear the new addictions that are coming through these doors nowadays,” says one psychologist, who wishes not to be named.

Addictions are becoming more and more common, especially for those under the age of eighteen.

A few students have spoken up: Giselle Vasquez, senior, admits, “I’m addicted to chewing ice. I don’t really know why, but I enjoy the ‘cool crunch.’’ 

Chewing ice won’t affect anyone’s health, but it may damage teeth.

“I’ll often recommend my patients not to chew on ice, since it can fracture the tooth; sometimes the damage can be so bad I have to remove the entire tooth altogether!” says Lisa Wu, a dentist at a local dentistry office.

There are a few addictions that most people don’t even consider ‘addicting,’ such as exercising. Many people have often heard of the term ‘couch potato’; it’s often used when describing someone who is extremely lazy. So it may come to as a surprise when discovered that some people are actually addicted to exercising. Research shows that people who live a healthy life or are athletes most often are addicted to exercising.

Stephanie Williams, freshman, explains, “I’m not entirely sure I have an exercise addiction, but I know exercising relaxes me after a long day of frustrating work. It’s healthy and it puts your mind at ease.”

“Although this is a rare yet healthy addiction, it does have its cons: Over-exercising can put too much stress on the body, and can also cause lung problems because of the fast breathing the addict must do,” explains paramedic who wishes his name not to be mentioned.

Over the years, new addictions seem to be appearing out of thin air; who knows what will appear next?