Kicking Off The Start Of Season

Genevieve Grosso, Sports Editor

On Friday, October 30th, The Wellington Wolverine Varsity Football Team played their first game of the season against their local rival Royal Palm Beach Wildcats. The Wildcats scored the first 14 points of the game on passing plays. At the beginning of the second quarter, sophomore quarterback Ryan Anthony threw a 10-yard touchdown to Josh Miloch, the first touchdown for the wolverines, making the score Royal Palm 14, Wellington 7. The Wildcats scored another touchdown on a passing play extending their lead 20-7. The score remained the same throughout the third quarter, but as they entered the final quarter, Wellington’s Reece Larson completed a 41-yard touchdown pass from Ryan Anthony on the first play. Wellington’s kicker Matt Palma made the extra point making the score 20-14. In the last 10 minutes of the game, the Wildcats scored another touchdown increasing their lead 26-14. Late in the 4th quarter, Reece Larson scored on a 5-yard touchdown pass from Ryan Anthony, Wellington’s final touchdown.  The final score was 26-21 Royal Palm. Overall Wellington’s defense held the Wildcats to 20 yards rushing on 14 attempts. Josh Miloch was the leading rusher with 80 yards on 15 carries and Ryan Anthony completed 12 passes for 220 yards in Friday’s game. The Wolverines played an amazing game and congratulations to all the seniors as Friday’s game was senior night and the opening of Wellington’s brand new turf stadium. Wellington played their second game of the season on November 6th against Pahokee, the final score was Pahokee 22  Wellington 16. On November 13, Wellington took the dub against Santaluces 26-13! Sadly, this week’s game on November 20th against Palm Beach Central has been canceled.