All-Star Weekend With Satisfying Changes

Stacy Revere/Getty Images

Xander Hernandez-Barrios, Staff Writer

Feb. 14-16 was All-Star Weekend for the Nba, and famous events were held like the three point contest, dunk contest, rising stars game, and the most important All-star game.

The Rising Stars game was held on Feb.14th, having rookies and sophomores in the NBA competing based on their originality. It was Team World, who had RJ Barrett, Rui Hachimura, and Luka Doncic on their team against Team USA, who had Miles Bridges, Ja Morant, Zion Williamson, and Kendrick Nunn. Miles Bridges won the MVP of the Rising Stars game with 20 points, 5 rebounds and assists. Team USA ended up beating Team World by 20 points with a score of 131-151.

On Feb 15. The 3-point contest was held with participants like, Davis Bertans, Devin Booker, Devonte’ Graham, Joe Harris, Buddy Hield, Zach Lavine, Duncan Robinson, and Trae Young. Trae Young did not perform as we expected him too, and was eliminated in the first round. Buddy Hield took the 3 point trophy home with 27 points in the final round. In the Dunk Contest, Aaron Gordon and Derrick Jones Jr. went off with 6 straight perfect scores on their dunks of the night. Derrick Jones Jr. ended the night with a free throw line windmill dunk and got a 48 out of 50. Aaron Gordon jumped over 7’5 Tacko Fall, and only got a 47. Many people believe that Aaron Gordon was robbed of his trophy, after the judges gave Derrick Jones Jr. the trophy.

On Sunday night, Feb.16, the All Star Game was held with Team Lebron and Team Giannis. Both team captains chose their team, and the starting 5 of Team Lebron was Lebron James, Luka Doncic, Anthony Davis, James Harden, and Kawhi Leonard. The starting 5 of Team Giannis were Giannis Antetokounmpo, Pascal Siakam, Joel Embiid, Kemba Walker, and Trae Young. The All-star game had some changes in it’s format, each team would play 4 quarters of 12 minutes to see who had more points at the end of the quarter, and after the 4 quarters is up, they would add up whoever had more points in total of the 4 quarters, and play an additional “quarter” until they got that score for however long they need. One team wore the number 2 and the other team 24, to honor Kobe Byrant and his daughter Gianna Bryant’s death. Team Lebron won the game, and Kawhi Leonard won the All-Star game MVP.