Wolverines Football: 2016 Season Recap

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wolverines Football: 2016 Season Recap

Brendan Boudreau, Sports Editor

The 2016 season started with high hopes for another playoff bound year lead by senior quarterback Ben Schmickle, but a season-opening loss 42-21 at Atlantic High School left the team down, but not out.

After a tough week one, the team picked up the pace and handily beat rival Royal Palm and John I. Leonard in the following weeks. Coming off a two game win-streak, the Wolverines faced cross-town rival Palm Beach Central. Though Central did not win any of their three prior games, they looked to take down Wellington in a battle on their home turf. The Wolverines went down quickly in the first quarter 14-0; However, the team was able to put together an impressive defensive and offensive rally late in the second half to bring the victory and bragging rights back to Wellington. This crucial team victory in an intense conference matchup  put Wellington on the pathway to playoffs. The following two weeks resulted in losses at Central High School and at home against Seminole Ridge on a rainy Senior night.

With Wellington’s game at Dwyer postponed due to hurricane Matthew, their tough schedule still includes Palm Beach Gardens (Home), Jupiter (Away), and Boca (Home).

The 3-3  Wolverines can’t be counted out of playoff contention yet, and will continue to grind their season out to a winning record under head coach Tom Abel. Let’s go Wolverines!