The Wave

LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

Erin Bryant, Editor-in-Chief

Wellington High junior LeeAnn Hewitt is a world-class athlete with something to prove.

“LeeAnn is very dedicated, but also very easy-going. You can tell she’s having fun while she’s competing, but she knows when to focus,” her coach, Peter Callovi, said.

Recently, Hewitt competed in the Raw Nationals competition in Scranton, Pennsylvania. The event amassed 1147 lifters from quaint farm towns to towering metropolises.

Hewitt wowed competitors by squatting 529.1 pounds, benching 237 pounds, and deadlifting 468.5 pounds.

Her squat ranked fifth and her grand total of 1234.6 pounds ranked sixth on the Raw All Time Top 20 rankings, earning her a spot on the USA world team for powerlifting. As part of the team, she will compete in the 2016 IPF Classic World Powerlifting Championship in Killeen, Texas.

This sixteen-year-old is not just the strongest woman in Florida- she is also the strongest teen of all fifty states.

From a wide-eyed freshman, to a seasoned professional, LeeAnn Hewitt was in love at first lift. Hewitt started lifting when her leadership teacher, Peter Callovi, recruited her to the scholastic team.

“I only came to tryouts because I thought that if I did not go he would be upset and fail me,” Hewitt confessed.

Callovi and Arian Khamesi, Hewitt’s powerlifting coach, shaped her body and her mind.

“I prepare [for competitions] by getting mentally ready through mediation and prayer. Not to mention physically preparing all the equipment and supplies,” she explained.

Like other high school juniors, Hewitt has to balance a busy schedule bursting with tough classes, practices, and extra-curricular activities. However, Hewitt never fails to overcome obstacles.

“I just have this constant drive to succeed and to be the best that I can be,” Hewitt said.

Her optimism and spirit does not go unnoticed.

“LeeAnn motivates us to push our limits. She’s the heart of the team, and we’re so proud of her,” Rebecca Gonzalez, fellow teammate, said.

Hewitt’s goal is to become the strongest woman in the world. She will not rest until she holds that title.

Erin Bryant, Editor-In-Chief

Hey. The name’s Erin. My typical weekend includes many books, lots of writing, and tons of pizza. I’m a geek extraordinaire; astronomy, zoology, and...

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

News

WHS Dance Marathon: Another Year of Success

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

News

Wellington Basketball Wins Regionals Against Cypress Bay

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

Press Releases

WHS Varsity Basketball in Final Four

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

Arts & Entertainment

Opinion: Jussie Smollett’s False Attack

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

Student Life

Last Minute Tips to Help You Ace the SAT

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

News

Actor Luke Perry Dies at 52

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

News

Thousands of Migrant Children Sexually Abused Under U.S. Custody

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

Arts & Entertainment

Captain Marvel Movie Review

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

Arts & Entertainment

Artigras Festival 2019

• LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift

Student Life

February 2019-Teacher Spotlight: Ms. Weiss

Wellington High School's Online News Publication - featuring news, sports, arts and entertainment, opinion, student life, video features, and more!
LeeAnn Hewitt: Love at First Lift