UFC Fighter Fights Cancer with Pizza

Elisa Morris, Student Life Editor

Joe Lauzon is an American mixed martial artist. He competes in the UFC’s Lightweight division, but his primary role is as a father. Unfortunately, his son was born with a dangerous cancer.

Little Joey Lauzon III was diagnosed with neuroblastoma shortly after his birth.

He is fighting against this horrendous disease and he is currently winning!

The diagnosis inspired Mr. Lauzon to do something big, so he gathered up a team and set out to complete the Boston Marathon- Jimmy Fund Cancer Walk.

The Boston Marathon Jimmy Fund Walk allows partakers to follow the course of the 26.2-mile Boston Marathon and honor friends, family, co-workers, and patients facing all forms of cancer.

This upcoming Friday, Lauzon is having another charity competition. He is working with the companies Baking Steel and The Underground to raise money for the Jimmy fund. These organizations support Boston’s Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and they raise funds for adult and pediatric cancer treatment.

Six teammates will be joining him Friday at the Baking Steel test kitchen. They will be eating pizza to raise funds that will go directly to the Jimmy Fund. For every slice of pizza they eat within the hour, they raise five dollars.

This isn’t the first eating competition he has sponsored. Every year he holds an MMA eating competition.

This past year, Joey and his team has raised $25,000 for the Jimmy Fund.

“What a great dad! I hope his son is feeling better,” Iman, junior, said.

The baby was enrolled in Boston’s Children Hospital. With the help of his doctors and the Jimmy fund, he made a fully recovery.

Even after his son’s miracle, Lauzon continues to raise money to fund the miracles of others.