Wellington Almost Wins It All

Wellington Almost Wins It All

Getty Images

Aj Starkins, Staff Writer

The Wellington Wolverines boy’s volleyball team went undefeated all through the regular season (25-0), and then went on to win their district and regional championship. When the Wolverines got to states, the Saint Thomas Aquinas Raiders went on to narrowly defeat the Wolverines in the state quarterfinals.

Brockton Boretti had 15 digs in the game, but even that wasn’t enough for the Wolverines who lost to the Raiders, 25-20, 25-22, and 25-19.

“I think we had a huge target on our backs coming into states,” Brian Bausch, coach, said.

All of the players agreed that every team that they played wanted to beat them and the further into the season they went, the bigger the target got. Everyone on the team is looking for a similar season next year where they win regionals and go to states again.
Wellington is losing four seniors, three of who were starters and two of whom are going to play college volleyball. There are multiple returning Juniors and Sophomores who are looking forward to stepping up next season.

Evan Burns and Tyler Crickenberger signed to play college volleyball at Missouri Valley and will begin playing there next year.

“I think we are both very excited to play together even after High School at a higher college level,” Evan Burns, senior, said.

The boy’s volleyball team wasn’t really aiming for an undefeated season because it just makes things more difficult later in the season when everyone wants to beat you, as most of the kids agreed. But the boys think that if it happens again, they will be ready this time.