Lady Wolverines Pounce at Track States

Oscar Robinson

Here is a picture of Maddie Beaubien during the end of the first lap of the 800m race.

Tyler Alexander, Sports Editor

The girls Wolverines Track team did an outstanding job competing in the Class 4A State Track and Field Championship this month, with four girls and two relay teams at States.

“Our girls team this year is just incredible. They are so talented, dedicated, and just love to give running their all. This is such a great team that we had this year, and their results at states completely reflected that,” Coach Weber stated.

The best performance of the entire season belonged to sophomore sensation
Maddie Beaubien, who ran in the 800 meter run and placed second in the entire state. Maddie came within a second of becoming a State Champion this year, and for her to accomplish that as a sophomore makes it all that more impressive. Running a time of 2 minutes and 13 seconds, she finished one second behind the State Champion.

The girls 4×800 relay squad (Catie Hessler, Kristina Lee, Brooke Mucino, and Maddie Beaubien) placed eleventh in the entire state, which was no small feat. And with competitors like freshman Brooke Mucino running in this event, it’s no surprise that the team placed eleventh. Brooke ran an outstanding mile time in winning this year’s 4A Regionals and set up great anticipation for her run at the state level.
In the mile she placed 13th. It’s a different result than her first place finish at regional’s, but it’s still very impressive for a freshman.

“For Brooke to finish this high at both the regional, and state level, it’s crazy. And for her to be a freshman and do this kind of stuff is incredible. She’s going to be a great runner for Wellington for a long time,” Nestor Abad, Junior, said.

Other notable single runners results for this year include, Emily Dalsgaard, who placed 12th in the pole vault event, and Simone Williams, who placed 15th in the discus.

Both of these outstanding girls did a great job this year, meet in and meet out, leading up to states, and it finally paid off for them.

Maddie Beaubien, Savannah Race, Alene Pohly, and Kristina Lee continued an outstanding season, placing 13th in the 4×400 relay.

“All of the girls this year did an outstanding job the entire season, and continued the success into states. I’m so proud of all of the girls who put effort into this season,” Katie Mucino, Junior commented.

The girls had an outstanding season this year and a great time at states. There is no doubt that the underclassmen will certainly continue this winning tradition at Wellington High School.

Congratulations Lady Wolverines.