Lady Wolverines Win Back Title

Cassidy Flechaus, Multimedia Editor

On Thursday April 17th, the Lady Wolverines Lacrosse team beat the Lady Cobras in the 2014 District Championship. In an overtime effort the Wolverines ended up leading with a 13-12 score to end the game.
“It was a hard fought game till the very end,” Park Vistas Assistant Coach, Chris Peterson, said.
Captain Kathleen Gerritts lead the team with 8 goals. Captain Natty Kelley was also a key player in Thursday night’s game. Kelley took the draws against Cami Rodriguez; Kelley with the help of her teammates secured the ball by winning 50 percent of the draws taken. In the net was sophomore, Hailey Hansen, who stopped over 50 percent of the shots taken against her. Hansen will help lead the team from the net for the next two years.
“My Goal is to help the team win two more district championships and hopefully a state title this year as well. I wouldn’t have been able to play as well without my awesome defense,” Haley Hansen, junior, said.
The Lady Wolverines defense prevented all but two shots to be taken on goal. 10 out of the 12 goals against the wolverines were scored from a penalty position on the eight meter arch. The defense was anchored by the “twins” Haley and Hannah Lord, Cassidy Flechaus, and Katie Mucinio.
“I couldn’t have asked my defense to do any better; they were the epitome of a perfect defense. I’m so proud of every single one of them” Defensive Coach, Conner Flechaus, said.
This is Conner Flechaus’s first year as defensive coach for the Lady Wolverines. Flechaus who graduated from Wellington in 2012 played on the Varsity Football and Boys Lacrosse team. He helped for the Boys lacrosse team win Districts his senior year. Flechaus played defense as well.
“I can’t wait to win more Championships and my goal is to get these ladies the state ring,” Flechaus said.
The Lady Wolverines will take on Pope John Paul for the first regional game. The game will be played Tuesday, April 22nd, at home. This will be the first stop on the Wolverines journey to the ring.
“This was our night,” Head Coach Mike Klyotskin cheered as the final seconds on the clock ticked down.