WHS Goes to Roger Dean

WHS Goes to Roger Dean

Tyler Alexander, Sports Editor

On March 13, 2014 Wellington High School students from Newspaper and Yearbook took a trip down to Roger Dean Stadium to see a Spring Training Game between to National League heavyweights. The St. Louis Cardinals and the Atlanta Braves are two of the top teams in the Major League Baseball. However, on this day only one team played like it.

“It was great to see a baseball game for school, and it was a really fun experience. I just wish the game was a little bit closer than it was.” Heather Ortiz, senior, said.

The game ended in an 11-0 rout by the hometown Cardinals, with an explosive fourth inning, where St. Louis scored seven runs to break open the game. While Spring Training isn’t always necessarily the most exciting baseball, there were still tremendous plays made by outstanding athletes on both teams. Despite the game ending in a landslide victory, it was great to see outstanding athleticism on the field.

When asked why a “Spring Training game?” Ms. Inglis responded, “Because baseball is a sport that every reporter and every writer needs to cover at least once. It’s a foundation to all of journalism in general. And Spring Training is a great place to start the foundation.”

“It was a great experience to have. I’m happy I was able to go and see a professional baseball game. It was really a terrific experience and I got some great photos. All in all, it was a great time.” Cole Popper, Junior said.

It truly was a great experience for all that were involved. Despite the score being 11-0, don’t be fooled, either one of these great teams could be in the World Series come fall.