Heisman Hopefuls and Championship Implications

Tyler Alexander, Sports Editor

Florida State University recently released their acceptance list (shoutout to our very own Lauren Alsina) so it seems fitting that new students are just in time to root on Jameis Winston and the Seminoles.

The Seminoles have come seemingly out of nowhere this season, lead by their red-shirt freshman phenom at quarterback, Jameis Winston. Winston is clearly the frontrunner to claim the illustrious Heisman Trophy, and in doing so he would become just the second Freshman ever to win the award. The previous Freshman being Johnny Manziel.

Despite there being seemingly nobody who can even challenge Winston for the award, there are many storylines going into the award ceremony in New York. Manziel is once again invited to attend, and is likely the third favorite to win. However, there is the question, who had the better Freshman season? Johnny Football electrified college football last year, ripping off highlight reel plays like he would from his backyard days. While Manziel remains possibly the most exciting player in the game today, one could easily say that Winston had the better season. Perhaps Winston didn’t have the highs that Manziel did, like beating Alabama, but he was a much more consistent passer. His consistency is the main reason his Seminoles will be playing in the National Championship game as the #1 ranked team in the country.

There is also Aj McCarron. The Alabama quarterback who is often overshadowed by the incredible defense that Nick Saban has created. The early National Championship favorites have an outstanding quarterback, who seemingly does nothing but win games. Specifically National Championships. McCarron is perhaps the most underrated player at the collegate level, being nearly flawless in every single game of his career, and winning more National Championships than anyone. He however, has never come close to winning a Heisman Trophy and he seemingly wont win one this year. At least he has Katherine Webb as a consolation prize.

Many other players have burst onto the scene in recent weeks, such as Auburns Tre Mason, but none will come close to Jameis Winston this time. With Florida State playing for a national championship, the new Seminoles of Wellington High school are certainly thrilled about their new favorite football team. It will be a incredible to watch how Winston and company performs in their championship game and in the years to follow.