Future Junior Varsity Stars

Jake Cutaia, Writer

Wellington High school’s sports teams are well respected in Palm Beach County. Every year there are students new to WHS that try out for sports teams. This year two freshman students particularly stand out.
Howard Mccray is a Freshman Basketball player that more than likely will be playing junior varsity this year. “When I asked the coach weather I should play freshman or JV he told me to play JV, and I think I am one of the best on the team and can only get better,” Howard Mccray, freshman, said.
Howard played basketball in middle school for two years and started in his last year at Wellington Landings playing small forward. Howard has a huge goal to achieve. “When I graduate High school I would love to play for Duke University, and the Oklahoma City Thunder, and the only way to get there is hard work,” Mccray said. Howard doesn’t just like Kevin Durant he also likes to play like him.
“I like to play like Kevin Durant and think of myself as a scoring small forward, even though I like to distribute the basketball,” Howard said.
Another upcoming JV star is D.J Dobkins, starting Wide receiver for the freshman football team. “I would love to play Junior varsity next year, I think I am one of the best on the team and we have a lot of great players on our team,” D.J Dobkins freshman said. Practice make perfect or better as we all know. “I have to practice harder than I ever have before because in high school there is no room for mistakes and especially since because I am one of the shortest guys on the field,” Dobkins said.
D.J would love to play for Ohio State University and the New England Patriots one day. ‘Next game I would love to have three touchdowns, 120 yards, and 8 receptions,” Dobkins said.
Wellington sports fans can watch these players achieve their goals at the WHS home games. They hope to see you there.