Wolverines bounce Bobcats in Homecoming Game

Tyler Alexander, Sports Editor

Wellington students, alumni, and teachers gathered at Wolverine Stadium Friday night to witness the beloved Wellington homecoming football game. Homecoming Week 2013 came to a joyous end as the Wellington Wolverines emerged victorious over the West Broward Bobcats. The night started off with a bang for the Wolverines, as a huge punt return set up the offense on the Bobcats five yard line. However, as would be a theme all night, the return was called back due to an illegal block in the back.
On the ensuing Wellington drive, the Wolverines were faced with a critical third and goal from the seven. As quarterback Cole Smallridge dropped back to pass, the Bobcats ferocious rush came through, forcing Smallridge to throw the ball out of the back of the endzone. Wellington would however put a field goal on the board, making the score 3-0.
The score remained at 3-0 for an extended period of time, with the Wolverines and Bobcats exchanging punt after punt, with neither offense gaining any significant yardage. However, Wellington’s tenacious defense finally broke through, forcing an interception at midfield with 9:37 left in the first half. Wellington’s offense knew they needed to capitalize on the outstanding field position, but got out to a rocky start.
Penalties forced the Wolverines to move backwards until they were faced with a difficult 2nd and 26. With an extremely difficult down and distance present, quarterback Cole Smallridge prevailed, throwing the pass of the night, completing a beautiful back shoulder throw down the right sidelines for a first down. After this incredible play gave the Wolverines a first down, Smallridge came through again, hitting a wide open receiver over the middle for a touchdown. Penalties plagued Wellington in the most crucial situations, and they appeared again on this touchdown play. As soon as the fans noticed in infamous yellow laundry on the field, the stands erupted into a deafening roar of boos, as the desperately hoped their Wolverines could pull away. With the call being barely audible over the noise of the irate fans, the refs determined that the touchdown stood, and Wellington went up 10-0.
The Wolverines really began to pull away in the second half, with a 15 yard touchdown pass putting Wellington up 17-0, and giving Smallridge his second touchdown pass of the game. With the Wolverines gaining momentum by the minute, it all came into shape when Wellington intercepted a Bobcats pass at the 50 yard line, and returned it for a touchdown. With the fans erupting due to the outstanding play of their beloved Wolverines, the touchdown was called back due to a penalty by the Wellington defense.
By the end of the game, the Wolverines emerged victorious by a score of 23-0, with quarterback Cole Smallridge slinging three great touchdown passes on top of numerous great throws. The Wolverines defense looked outstanding, and the offense looked as good as it has all year. With this game in mind, it’s easy to imagine a great Wolverine run.