Blue Devils Scorch Wolverines

Blue Devils Scorch Wolverines

Lauren Alsina

Brett Pizzi, Staffer

On Friday May 24, the Wellington Wolverines Football team took on the Pahokee Blue Devils. The spring game takes place every year, to prepare upcoming football stars for next year. While Wellington did fall short this year, losing 35-0, the game serves as a learning experience and a good spot to go forward from.

Wellington got off to a rough start, receiving the ball on the kickoff, and fumbling on the opening drive. Wellington recovered the ball, but was forced to punt to Pahokee, allowing the Blue Devils to start their drive with excellent field position.

Wellington held off Pahokee from scoring until 6 minutes left in the first quarter. The Wolverines played hard defense up until that point, and things became shaky from there. Wellington then allowed an onslaught of thirty-five unanswered points, falling short on defense, and not responding on offense.

While the offense didn’t score that night, the offensive line held up against Pahokee’s relentless pass rush. Quarterback Cole Smallridge was forced into throwing an interception late in the second quarter, turning the ball over to Pahokee’s explosive offense.

“I thought Wellington played rather well, but they just didn’t preform well on offense.” Sam Bernstein, sophomore, said.

Overall, Wellington can learn a lot from this game. The Wolverines realized that they have a lot to improve on in order to be able to compete with high caliber teams like Pahokee. Focusing on Offense and building up the defense will allow Wellington to strengthen their team, and improve their odds of winning in the future.