Wellington Varsity Basketball Game


Lauren Alsina

Tyler Alexander, Sports Editor

The Wellington Wolverines Varsity Basketball team met up with the Santaluces Chiefs in a non-conference basketball game Friday night.  The Wolverines fought their hardest in one of the most memorable finishes we’ve seen in recent years.

In a back and forth first half, the Wolverines went into the locker rooms tied 21 all. Wellingtonand Santaluces combined for an astounding 20 turnovers in only 16 minutes in the first half.  Both offenses would make the necessary halftime adjustments, scoring 83 points in the second half.

Despite having difficulty stopping the Chiefs offense, the Wolverines began to pull away late in the fourth quarter.  Miscues, however, gave Santaluces more than their fair share of chances.

Up by two points with ten seconds left,Wellingtonwas set to inbound the ball.  An ill-advised pass led to a Wolverines turnover when the recipient of the inbound had the tip of his toe land on the baseline.  This would prove crucial, for it give Santaluces the ball back with nine seconds left, down by only two.

On the Chiefs inbounds play; they had a man open under the basket, ready to tie the game with an easy layup.  However, a mishandling of the pass led to yet another Santaluces turnover.  Just when you think the drama can’t get any higher, the Wolverines took too long on their inbounds pass, resulting in a five-second violation.  This gave the Chiefs the ball back again underneath their own basket with a chance to tie.

This time, they would convert.  A beautifully executed ally-oop tied the game at 54 all, sending the crowd into absolute shock.  A halfcourt shot for the win with five seconds left was no good, and the game went into overtime.

Santaluces once again won the tip, and took advantage of it early on their first possession.  A strong drive to the hoop resulted in a bucket and the foul for the Chiefs, putting them up by three. Wellingtonwould however rally back in the five minute extra period, going up by two with three seconds left.  Facing two freethrows, the Wolverines were unable to make the first, but did connect on the second to go up by three.  Santaluces was unable to hit on the buzzerbeater, andWellingtonsnuck out with a 64-61 overtime win.

The win improved the Wolverines record to 7-2 on the year, and dropped the Chiefs to 2-7.