Stanley Cup Surprises Students

Jessica Small, Sports Editor

On January 19, 2012 a treasure in the world of the NHL was brought to Wellington High. From the final bell of second period all the way through third period announcements, the Stanley Cup was on display in the courtyard.

In 1893, Lord Stanley of Preston first presented a silver bowl to the Montreal Hockey Club. Since then, the winning team of what is called the Stanley Cup Finals has been awarded this prize, each year.

The bowl sits atop silver rings, which are engraved with the names of the winning players, coaches, club staff, and management. The Stanley Cup is now a trophy weighing 32lbs.

The owner of the Boston Bruins, Jeremy Jacobs, is currently visiting his home here in Wellington. Jacobs generously honored WHS by allowing both the cup and the Championship Ring to visit Wellington High School.

“To see the Stanley Cup in south Florida is a once in a lifetime experience,” Brandon Parker, faculty member, said. “[I felt] like a little six-year-old boy walking downstairs on Christmas morning and seeing a tree full of presents.”

Parker has been an avid hockey player and fan for twenty years.

“The cup has been all over the world, and all over the country,” Parker said. “It is really interesting to see and look back at all the names, and all of the people who have held that cup.”

Wellington High is very thankful for this spectacular opportunity to get a taste of sports history.