Football Injuries Hurt Chance for Successful Season

Lizzi Rigolo, Photography Editor

Patrick Gerrits

“I made the tackle,” said Gerrits, “but my cleat planted into the ground and when I brought the other guy to the ground I snapped my ankle sideways because it was stuck.” Gerrits says he didn’t even realize he had shattered his ankle to he got up and tried to walk.

“I had to wait a week to get surgery.” Doctors placed two pins and a plate in Gerrits’ lower leg, a procedure that took about two and a half hours, but counting the time Gerrits was unconscious, a total of four hours. He was told he could put no pressure, what so ever, on his ankle.

After 8 weeks of using crutches, a wheelchair, and a scooter to get around, Gerrits is finally allowed to start applying pressure to his foot. He will still not be completely recovered for a couple months, though.  Gerrits goes to physical therapy twice a week. He flexes and extends his foot to build the muscle back up in his ankle. Gerrits was given medication that he started to take, but after a week got “sick of it” and switched to Tylenol when he needed it. He is most definitely out for the season, but “I don’t know what will happen for college.”

Jimmy Mullins

“Doctors think it’s a posterior labral tear,” said Mullins, senior. Doctors are not sure exactly what is wrong with Mullins’ shoulder since a posterior labral tear does not show up on an MRI.

“I have to get scoped and possible surgery.” No matter if Mullins has the surgery or not he will need to go through physical therapy. If physical therapy doesn’t help his shoulder by itself, doctors will need to “go inside and look and if it’s torn, which everyone thinks it is, I’ll have surgery.”

Mullins will be out for the rest of the season, but does plan on playing football in high school. “I’m talking to colleges, but I don’t know which ones want me, yet.”

Sebastian Dubocq

While at practice, Dubocq, senior, “twisted up” his knee and got a minor concussion. Dubocq hasn’t been to see the doctor yet, but the trainer has him on crutches and using ice. Seeing the doctor, though, will dictate if he will be out for the rest of the season.

Tyler Sullivan

Sullivan, senior, tore his posterior labrum in his right shoulder and jammed his clavicle into his joint. During surgery, doctors drilled 3 holes into the bone to put in plastic anchors that tied the labrum to the bone. They also ground down the clavicle to un-jam it. This was by far the longest procedure through out the injured part of the football team, lasting two to three hours. Sullivan now partakes in physical therapy twice a week. He’s also in a sling for 6 weeks. When asked if He will participate in football again, Sullivan replies that he will not be in football anymore, he plans to go into the army.

Ryan Higbee

After taking a bad hit, Higbee, senior, got his fourth or fifth concussion. Doctors have told him he will not be able to play anymore. If Higbee receives another concussion he will probably have severe brain damage or possibly go brain dead. Then he got the hospital after his latest concussion, Higbee threw up. He still gets headaches from strong light or sudden light changes, but his recovery is to relax and sleep it off.

Indiana Neary

Neary, senior, tore the labrums in his shoulders from over use that has progressively gotten worse. He hasn’t had surgery yet, but says he does his own version of therapy, lifting weights. “It’s probably not really helping, but it’s the only thing I can do right now,” Neary admits.

Connor Flechaus

Flechaus, senior, was cut blocking a player from Seminole Ridge when the injury occurred. The other player’s knee hit Flechaus’ ribs. Flechaus’ ribs, in response to the hit, shifted and left him with a lacerated kidney. Right after contact his ribs shifted, back into place. His kidney was not so fortunate. Flechaus was taken to the ER a few days later where doctors, thankfully, did not have to do surgery for his kidney. Time and rest are the only cures for this injury. On November 2, Flechaus will have been out for 5 weeks, which was the time allotted by doctors that he should be out of the game. Flechaus will be back for senior night.

Danick Duffus

Duffus, junior, tore his MCL and fractured his tibia. Not wanting to go through surgery, he was given the option of physical therapy, which he goes to ___ times a week. “I can walk,” Duffus said, “but I have to use crutches to take pressure off it.” He was given painkillers by his doctor, but never actually took them. He said he didn’t need them; he could handle the pain by himself. Duffus as well will not be able to play football till next spring.

Nick Hall

Hall, junior, had 2 inguinal hernias. His surgery included putting mush in for tissue to grow around. After his surgery, Hall couldn’t walk for two to three days. He, also, can’t lift anything for 6 weeks.  He was on Perkiest, a painkiller, for 5 days. Unfortunately his injury will not have recovered for the end of season, so he will start football back up again in the spring.

Devin Gillotte

On a kick return Gillotte, sophomore, fell while blocking. When he tried to get back up his wrist snapped back. On later examination from the doctors, Gillotte was told he had a fractured wrist. With his wrist in a cast for two to three weeks and taking medicine to kill the pain, Gillotte will be out till spring season begins.

Matt Sabatino

“I took an unlucky step,” said Sabatino, sophomore. Well, that “unlucky step” caused him to tear his ACL. Sabatino underwent a forty-five minute surgery while under Anastasia. After the surgery, he had to wear a brace that went from his thigh to his calf and use crutches for four weeks. To help his ACL strengthen, Sabatino goes to physical therapy twice a week. On top of that, to stay in shape, Sabatino goes to the gym every day to keep his upper body in shape. Sabatino shares that he was supposed to take Vicatin, a painkiller, a week after surgery. He didn’t take it. Sabatino is not allowed to play ball for 5 months, which means he won’t be playing ‘til next spring.

Corinthian Neal

As a receiver, Neal, sophomore, has overused his forearm. When he went to the hospital to get it checked, doctors put him in a soft cast that he had to keep on for 3 weeks. Neal had to take antibiotics and use a sling. After a full recovery, Corinthian is back in the game.