Girls Volleyball Takes State Runner-Up Title in Kissimmee

Jessica Small, Sports Editor

On Saturday, November 19 the Wellington Wolverine Girls Volleyball team competed in the Class 8A State Championship at Silver Spurs Arena in Kissimmee.

The team was this year’s state runner-up after a close match against Tarpon Springs East Lake.

“The girls accomplished a lot of goals that they had set for themselves,” Brian Bausch, coach, said. “They have blazed a trail… I think that is something to be proud of.”

Other girls volleyball fans agreed. All of Wellington High School seems to share a unanimous feeling of pride in the girls. A handful of students even spent their weekend cheering on the team in Kissimmee.

“There were around 50 fans from school, not including parents,” James Lovett, senior spectator, said. “It felt great to see them go that far and know that they had made history for Wellington. They never wanted to give up a point to East Lake.”

The State Championship was the last game for this year’s team. It is a bitter sweet feeling for the girls, as it was the last opportunity for the seniors to play together.

“I believe if we played to our full potential, meaning every single player who stepped on the court played 100%, we could have won. But I have no regrets; it was the most amazing season and experience of my life. I’m going to miss not having the privilege of playing on the same team as these 15 girls ever again,” Gabrielle Sehres, senior Girls Volleyball player, said. “It definitely wasn’t our best game. Both teams had their all-star moments along with their share of errors. We made more errors.”

Though the Wolverines came up short in the end, the presence of team spirit never once faltered.

“Before the game Coach Bausch gave us a pep talk that brought us to tears of joy and sadness that the season had hit its end. Then Abby Jo Winsor read her devotional to us, like always; we followed our pregame routine,” Gabrielle Sehres said. “We aren’t just a team; we have a sisterhood unlike any other team! These girls are my family and that will never change.”