Football Fights for More than Touchdowns

Lauren Alsina

Meagan Leon, Student Life Editor

Football- rugged, tough, intense. During the month of October, however, football goes pink. While still as rough, football players and their coaches are showing their more sensitive side by their awareness of a great cause.

All throughout October, the NFL—players and coaches alike—go pink to raise awareness for breast cancer. Teaming up with the American Cancer Society, players wear pink game apparel, use pink game balls and special pink coins.

This trend is also hitting close to home. The boys of the WHS football team are also raising awareness of breast cancer. “Some guys wear pink laces, undershirts, and socks,” said Andy LeMay, senior and football captain.

Not only does the NFL raise awareness with these pink items, at the end of the month, all of the items worn and used by players, coaches, and referees will be auctioned off. All of the proceeds will go to the American Cancer Society and other team charities, according to www.nfl.com/pink.

In addition to the teams themselves, NFL cheerleaders are also wearing pink for the cause. Teams like the Dallas Cowboys, the Indianapolis Colts, and the Miami Dolphins all have cheerleaders sporting pink apparel, from pom-poms to socks.

WHS Varsity cheerleaders also bought pink items in support of breast cancer. “We bought pink bows for our hair, bloomers, and laces,” Jamie Piser, senior and cheer captain, said.

Whether it’s the NFL or the Wolverines football field, breast cancer awareness holds a spot in every athlete’s heart.