Gaming Consoles Overpower Outdoor Activities

Tyler Alexander, Staff Writer

Many people have experienced the new electronic version of exercise, via the Wii, Xbox, and Playstation.

Programs such as Wii Fit and Xbox Kinect have brought outdoor activities, indoors for people’s daily exercise and weight loss.  People can do everything from running short, medium, or even long distances, balancing, tight rope walking, hula hooping, skiing, yoga poses, and bicep building. This game certainly covers all the bases, particularly yoga, balance, strength, training, and aerobics.

Most people however seem to like exercising in game form, and they don’t have to deal with the heat of being outside.  This is why many people like exercising on the Wii Fit better than exercising outside. 

When I asked an experienced yoga practitioner about the game, who wished to remain anonymous, she said it was great for practicing the poses, but that compared to actually taking a class at the gym, there’s no comparison.

“There’s nothing like a good old fashion workout though, and exercising on Wii is just playing a bunch of games, trying to making us believe that were exercising.” Marc Terrizzi, freshman, said.  “Not only that, but the heat of being outside will also help burn fat.”

“While it is cool that it is in game form, I would still like to exercise outside, Dylan Barr, senior, said

There are highs and lows to everything but from the reaction of the public it certainly seems like the Wii Fit and Xbox Kinect cover it all.