115 Deca students advance to states

Elle Fields, Staff Writer

Wellington Highschool’s marketing program is sending 115 DECA students to states.

These students are the future of entrepreneurship and business. The categories that DECA students will be competing in at states include marketing, finance, hospitality and tourism, entrepreneurship, and business administration. They will be either competing in a team or as an individual. Students will compete by doing role-play interviews, speech presentations, and taking specialized tests.

The majority of students advancing to states this year are juniors. Many of the students advancing to states are freshman meaning this will be a first for many.

For the students who do well at the state competition, well enough to place, will then advance on to ICDC. ICDC is the international competition for DECA students which will be held in Nashville this year. Making it this far is a huge accomplishment for many. Wellington High School’s DECA so far this year has been such a success.

“It has been a combination of a lot of work and preparation and a time when our DECA Chapter supports each other as a team even when competing individually,” said Elizabeth Newsome, marketing essentials and AICE Travel and Tourism teacher here at Wellington.