ICE arrests foreign students at fake college

Back to Article
Back to Article

Victoria Loredan, News Editor

In early January, ICE arrested 250 foreign students by luring them with their fake college, the University of Farmington in Michigan.

ICE set up the University of Farmington in 2015 to try and snare foreign students that were trying to stay in the country illegally because they violated their F1 visa.

The university was created under the Obama Administration however, the Trump Administration took it a step further by having government agents act as recruiters. They would pitch the school to the students to try and snare them in.

Students still had to pay tuition normally, however, there were no classes. The government says that the students should have realized the college was a scam because there were no classes. In fact, some students were becoming suspicious and were trying to understand what was going on.

The University of Farmington was marketed as a hub for STEM students who wanted to enroll and not interrupt their careers.

Most students wanted to enroll there because their previous college had lost their accreditation status.

This was not the first time a fake college was created. In 2016, 1,000 foreign students obtained visas for the fake College of Northern New Jersey.

“They should not punish these people who were lured into a trap,” Reddy said. “These people can’t even defend themselves properly because they’re not given the same rights in deportation proceedings.”