Stanford Student Linked to College Admissions Scandal Expelled

Back to Article
Back to Article

Credit: People Magazine

Credit: People Magazine

Credit: People Magazine

Credit: People Magazine

Shaelyn Drost, Managing Editor

Stanford University announced they had “rescinded admission” for a student last week with fake credentials as the college admissions scandal continues.

In the announcement, which conceals the identity of the student, Stanford officials wrote that they had expelled the student after discovering some of her application materials, mostly in reference to sailing, were falsified.

The announcement continued, “Any credits earned have also been vacated. The student is no longer on Stanford’s campus.”

The Stanford Daily reported that the former student is a female who “included fabricated sailing credentials in her application, which is grounds for expulsion according to University practice.”

“Though she was accepted through the standard process and not as a recruited athlete, her admission was followed by a $500,000 contribution to Stanford’s sailing program paid through John Vandemoer [the former sailing coach],” The Stanford Daily stated.

While the student was said not to have been a member of Stanford’s sailing team, Vandemoer, was fired and has pleaded guilty to racketeering charges. He accepted bribes totaling $270,000 from two prospective students according to court records.

Stanford President Marc Tessier-Lavigne and Provost Persis Drell said they will more prudently review and verify recruited athletes’ credentials going forward.

“We are determined to take the right steps at Stanford to ensure the integrity of our process and to work toward rebuilding that trust.”