WHS Dance Marathon: Another Year of Success

Shaelyn Drost, Managing Editor

Wellington’s Dance Marathon event was held last Friday at WHS, which culminated to a total of $105,913.28 raised as a school for UF Health Shands Children’s Hospital through the Children’s Miracle Network.

Wellington’s sixth-annual Dance Marathon exceeded its last year’s success of $100,075.28, being the first high school program in Florida and fourth nationally to exceed $100,000. With $105,913.28 raised this year, WHS’s reputation as one of the most successful high school programs remains unchanged.

Over 500 students filled the gymnasium of WHS Friday evening, joined by staff and several pediatric patients of Shand’s Hospital themselves there to support the event.

More than 70 members of the DM club, led by faculty member Robert Callovi and seniors Keyton King, Sophia Uribe, Nnandi Jean-Francois, Valentina Marin, and Carly Roca, made this event possible. Callovi states,

This likely would not have been possible if it wasn’t for these five students in particular who dedicated countless hours to organize the event and help lead the other 70 passionate members to make sure it was successful.”

Musicians, such as student-band “Vivication” and WHS’s Drumline performed for the charitable dancers, while sponsors such as Romeo’s Pizza and Chick-fil-A catered the event to show their support.

Several students successful in raising $1,000 will be attending Dance Marathon at the University of Florida, the most successful student-run philanthropy in the southeastern United States, on March 30th.